If you’re a therapist, you must be fully state licensed to meet the EMDR training requirements. And your license must be through your state or another government credentialing board. To be eligible, your license has to be in one of the following fields:
- Licensed Clinical Social Work (LCSW)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed Marriage Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)
- Licensed Psychologist (LP)
- Licensed Psychiatrist
- Licensed Psychiatric Nursing
And you must have already finished a Master’s or Doctorate Level graduate program, such as MSW, MFT, or PsyD. It has to be in a mental health field, including Psychology, Counseling, Social Work, or Marriage and Family Therapy.
But if you’re a Medical Doctor or a Licensed Psychiatrist there are additional requirements. Not only must you have completed specialist training in Psychiatry but you have to be licensed through your state as a Licensed Psychiatrist.
Licensed Psychiatric Nurses and Registered Nurses must have a Master’s in Psychiatric Nursing. And, of course, you have to be currently licensed or registered through your state or government nursing board as a Licensed Psychiatric Nurse.
Of course, other licenses, degrees, and statuses may qualify – it’s just that you’ll be asked for additional credentials. Here’s that list:
- Any therapist currently working under supervision
Graduate Students/Interns working in an agency, clinic, hospital, or school
- State Registered Psychotherapist
- State Certified Counselors
- Degree/License in School Counseling
- Degree/License in Art Therapy
- Degree/License in Music Therapy
- Degree/License in Play Therapy
- Degree/License in Christian/Pastoral/Community Counseling
- Degree/License in Drug/Alcohol Counseling
- Degree/License in Forensic Psychology
- Degree/License as Medical Doctor
- Degree/License as Registered Nurse
- Provisional-Licensed working toward full state licensure
- Associate-Licensed working toward full state licensure
- Temporary-Licensed working toward full state licensure
- Candidate-Licensed working toward full state licensure
- Any Therapists Outside the United States
If any of these describe you, then be sure to contact us before registering. You can also contact us if you do not meet any of the above criteria and want to know if there are any special provisions available to help you meet the minimum EMDR training requirements.