We Offer EMDR Certification Consultations for Both Individuals and Groups
Dr. Dobo provides various consultations for therapists interested in developing their EMDR Therapy skills.
EMDRIA, the credentialing organization of EMDR Therapy has a hierarchy of credentialing.
The first type of consultation occurs after the trainee completes the 40-hour Professional Training. This training includes a requirement of ten group consultation hours. Each trainee must complete these ten hours of consultation before earning their EMDR Training Certificate.
These group consultations are an hour long with four participants where the group discusses EMDR cases and experiences. These consultations are provided to strengthen the new trainee’s confidence in using this new skill.
After completing all the requirements for EMDR Therapy Professional Training trainees often want to become certified in EMDR Therapy, which is the next credential a trainee can earn. The requirements for EMDR Certification are below:
CERTIFICATION CREDENTIAL REQUIREMENTS
The certification consultation20 hours of consultation is required. Ten of these hours must be individual (not in a group). Ten can be in a group but do not have to be. All twenty can be individual hours with an Approved Consultant. The consultee has a minimum requirement of doing 50 EMDR Therapy sessions with a minimum of 25 different therapy clients. If you do not have clients at this time or do not use EMDR Therapy regularly, you should not pursue this credential at this time. The requirements are strict, and the consultee has to demonstrate many skills to earn this credential.
APPROVED CONSULTANT CREDENTIAL
This credential requires the same 20-hour format, but you do not discuss your cases. You must function as the consultant and discuss your guidance of a consultee (someone seeking certification) to earn this credential.
EMDR BASIC TRAINING COACH
A coach assists a trainer with the 40-hour Basic Training. EMDRIA requires one coach/trainer for every ten participants. All coaches must be Approved Consultants or Approved Consultants in-training. These Consultants also provide the 10-hour group consultations requirement as part of the Basic Training.
TRANSFORMATIONAL EMDR CONSULTATION
This consultation is based on Dr. Dobo’s books and his training Transformational EMDR Therapy. The consultations focus on the six-stage process of transformation accelerated by EMDR therapy. There is no minimum or maximum requirement. These consultations include a Jungian perspective including dream work within the structure of the six-stage model that occurs in the 8-phases of EMDR Therapy. There is focus on developing and understanding the difference between a transformational Negative Cognition and a more narrow cognition to process.
The applicant for the designation of EMDRIA Certified Therapist must meet the following criteria:
1) EMDRIA Approved Training: Submit evidence of having completed an EMDRIA approved EMDR Training program. A copy of your certificate of completion is required.
2) License/Certification: Provide documentation of independent license as a mental health professional in the state or province where you practice. A photocopy of your license to practice independently is required.
3) Attach notarized documentation supporting the following statements:
- Do you have at least two years’ experience in your field of license?
- Have you conducted at least 50 EMDR sessions with at least 25 clients?
Both statements can be included on one single notarized document. Applicants can simply state, “I have at least 2 years experience in my field of license and I have conducted at least 50 EMDR therapy sessions with at least 25 clients” or similar wording and then have it notarized.
4) Have you received 20 hours of consultation by an EMDRIA Approved Consultant in EMDR? Answer yes or no on the application form. Then you will need to obtain documentation from the Approved Consultant(s) you received your consultation from, verifying the number of hours you have received from him/her and how many of those hours were individual consultation and how many were group consultation. If you have received consultation from more than one Approved Consultant, you will need documentation from each. At least 10 of these hours must be obtained through individual, EMDR-focused consultation. The remaining 10 hours may be obtained through small group consultation. Consultation groups cannot exceed more than 8 participants at a time. Consultants-in-Training can provide up to 15 hours of consultation; the remaining 5 hours must be with an Approved Consultant. *Only consultation hours received AFTER completion of an EMDRIA Approved Training program can be applied towards this requirement.
5) Attach letter(s) of recommendation from one or more EMDRIA Approved Consultant(s) in EMDR, regarding your utilization of EMDR with clients.
6) Attach two letters of recommendation regarding your professional utilization of EMDR (if possible), ethics in practice, and professional character. These can be obtained from colleagues or peers.
7) Attach certificates of completion of 12 hours of EMDRIA Credits (continuing education in EMDR). The EMDR Training is not awarded EMDRIA Credits – only EMDRIA Approved Credit Programs in EMDR that are completed after the entire Training program can receive EMDRIA Credits and be used towards this application requirement. If you are in need of EMDRIA Credits, you can earn EMDRIA Credits through the EMDRIA OnDemand eLearning site. For more information and to access the EMDRIA OnDemand catalog of choices, click here. Additionally, you may click hereto view the Calendar of Events.
8) EMDRIA’s Professional Code of Conduct. Applicants must read and verify on the application form that they agree to adhere to EMDRIA’s Professional Code of Conduct.